NEET UG 2026 cancelled over paper leak allegations; NTA to conduct fresh exam for 22 lakh aspirants

NEET UG 2026 cancelled over paper leak allegations; NTA to conduct fresh exam for 22 lakh aspirants

Re-exam dates and revised admit cards will be announced separately as the government orders a CBI probe into the alleged nationwide malpractice network

Campus Times | Lucknow 

The National Testing Agency (NTA) has officially cancelled the NEET UG 2026 examination conducted on May 3 after allegations of a large-scale paper leak triggered nationwide outrage among students and parents. The entrance examination, which saw participation from over 22.79 lakh candidates, will now be reconducted on fresh dates to be announced soon.

In an official statement, the NTA said the decision was taken with the approval of the Government of India after reviewing inputs received from central investigative agencies and law enforcement authorities. The agency stated that the integrity of the examination process had been compromised, making it impossible to uphold the validity of the exam results.

“The National Testing Agency, with the approval of the Government of India, has decided to cancel the NEET (UG) 2026 examination held on May 3, 2026,” the statement said.

Fresh exam schedule and admit cards soon

The NTA clarified that revised dates for the NEET UG 2026 re-examination, along with details regarding fresh admit cards, will be notified separately through official platforms. Candidates have been advised to regularly monitor the official NTA and NEET websites for updates.

The agency acknowledged the inconvenience caused to lakhs of students and their families but maintained that cancelling the examination was necessary to preserve trust in the national examination system.

“The Agency is conscious that the re-conduct will cause real and significant inconvenience to candidates and their families. The decision has been taken because the alternative would have caused greater and more lasting damage to that trust,” the NTA stated in a post on X.

Why was NEET UG 2026 cancelled?

The controversy erupted after allegations surfaced regarding a leaked “guess paper” that reportedly matched a significant portion of the actual NEET UG 2026 question paper. According to investigation inputs, nearly 120 Chemistry questions allegedly matched the leaked material, while substantial overlaps were also reported in the Biology section.

Reports suggest that the material had been circulating in coaching hubs such as Sikar in Rajasthan nearly a month before the examination. It was allegedly sold to candidates for amounts reaching ₹7.3 lakh, including on the night before the exam.

The matter escalated after Rajasthan’s Special Operations Group (SOG) launched an investigation based on intelligence inputs. On May 10, the SOG detained 13 suspects from locations including Dehradun, Sikar, and Jhunjhunu. Among those questioned was reportedly a career counsellor associated with a coaching institute in Sikar.

Investigation referred to CBI

The Government of India has now referred the matter to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for a comprehensive inquiry into the alleged malpractice network.

Officials stated that the decision to cancel the exam was based on investigative findings and inputs examined jointly by the NTA and central agencies.

The NEET UG 2026 examination was conducted across 551 cities in India and 14 international cities at more than 5,432 centres, making it one of the world’s largest entrance examinations.

NTA earlier highlighted security measures

Before the cancellation, the NTA had defended the examination process by highlighting several security arrangements implemented during NEET UG 2026.

According to the agency:

• Question papers were transported using GPS-enabled vehicles

• Unique and traceable watermarks were embedded in papers

• AI-assisted CCTV surveillance monitored centres from a central control room

• Biometric verification of candidates was conducted

• 5G jammers were installed at examination centres

• More than 6,000 observers and over two lakh personnel were deployed nationwide

Despite these measures, investigative agencies reportedly found sufficient grounds to question the integrity of the examination.

Students await clarity on revised schedule

With the examination now cancelled, lakhs of medical aspirants across the country are awaiting clarity on the revised exam timeline. Students and parents have expressed concerns over preparation fatigue, academic uncertainty, and the emotional stress caused by the sudden development.

The NTA is expected to release the new examination schedule and fresh admit card details in the coming days.


Related to this topic: